Tuesday, May 13, 2008

When you get bad news...

Hmmm.. Well, what are you gonna do right? Let me just say that as I type this, I'm kind of in shock so.. Bear with me. You see, my wife's dad.. My awesome father in law recently had a bout with cancer, and he had surgery, and they told us that he was alright. In remission for preventative purposes, and they were even traveling.. Well, we just got off the phone with our Aunt.. And it appears that all that we have been believing these past months has been all untrue.. Turns out that yes, he still has cancer, and he's actually not doing very well. Well, all we can do is pray, and be there as much as possible. That's what we're going to do.. Our Aunt says that mom and dad haven't wanted to hear what has been told to them over and over again.. I mean, I get it though.. They have been together for 57 years, and spent not more than a day apart I'm sure.. They are a beautiful couple, and I feel so sorry for her mom.. I mean they are trucking along traveling and calling us and everything seems just fine! smh.. I think that the truth may be too much for them right now. I mean, how will any of us react when faced with our own mortality? We won't know until we get there right? He is receiving portable chemo treatments, but, we thought they were just to be sure, that they'd gotten it all.. damn.. You know, that's life though isn't it? You do your thing, rocking along, then, here come the curve balls! We burried my father 4 years ago, so, I think that I can be there for her in a way that comes from a very empathic place. And on the other hand.. He's here today!! And that is cause for celebration.. We were told in October that he only had 2 months to live.. So, we have to be thankful.. for each day. So, I am going to be thankful.. I would like to go for a visit.. you see, we are like a thousand or so miles away from her home. It would be so nice o just take a drive over to their house and have a nice "visit" (as they say).. Since my own father passed away, hers has become that much more important to me.. I think he knows that though.. I'll make sure he does.. I don't want to freak him out though, and start grieving before it's time you know? I want to stay positive, and know that he made it this far! So, who knows what tomorrow will bring.. Until then, I'll have to be there for my sweetheart in all the ways she needs me to be.. I LOVE HER SO MUCH!!
xoxoxoxo,
me....

No comments: